Thursday

Chapter 21/Losing Cheryl's light

Cheryl Ross of Pembine, Wisconsin was a beautiful young mother who had everything going for her. She loved her family, but she also had an intense love of life, itself, and was always optimistic.

But immediately after the birth of her second baby, Alea, doctors discovered that Cheryl had breast cancer. Even after removing her breast, the doctors said her chances for survival were not good.

Cheryl and her kind and creative husband, Dan, an artist, lived in a lovely but isolated cottage out in the country. Now, Cheryl needed to talk with people.

After she wrote me a long letter about how precious life is, I began to tell her story on TV. People responded with cheerful letters and visits to Cheryl. One group even had a picnic for her family and put up a swing set for her little boy, Autumn. This is a letter she wrote after one of our stories:

Dear Glen:

Well, today's excitement is over and the kids are finally settled down for the night after a story, drink, catching and disposing of a woodtick on Autumn etc. etc.

It's really quiet and the emotional part of the whole deal today just came over me. Writing is the only way I know to get over it.

There was so much activity and so many people here today that I wasn't sure if I had thanked you for your part in getting Autumn and Alea the swing set. Thank you. I appreciate your thoughtfulness and I treasure your friendship. It has meant a lot to me throughout the past year, the most difficult and the most rewarding year of my life.

I hope the next time we get together it will be a celebration of life and good health. Meanwhile, remember that each day is a big, juicy, red strawberry there for you (and all of us) to enjoy fully.

Sincerely
Cheryl


Cheryl seemed to be holding her own for about six months but despite her optimism, the cancer began to spread.

"At first, I was terrified," she said after the doctor gave her the bad news. "The terror is still there but not as consuming. I can't sleep and have been hanging on to my kids."

Cheryl said that her little boy, Autumn, sensed that something was wrong and was concerned. Cheryl comforted him the best she could.

"I don't think about the future," she said. "I've lost control over my life."

But Cheryl continued to tell her story to help other people appreciate their lives and families.

Then I received this letter from Cheryl's friend, Carol:

It is a real comfort to me knowing that so many people care about Cheryl.

Her condition has taken a turn for the worse: she is struggling with fluid in her lungs. I'm sure she would appreciate hearing from you in the near future.

I called Cheryl immediately. They put the phone to her ear and I told her how much she meant to everyone. But she couldn't talk back to me.

When I announced her death on the air, my voice cracked with emotion. We had lost Cheryl's light.

I made a tape of her stories, so that when Cheryl and Dan's kids grew up they would know how special their young mother was.

Dear Glen:

Thanks for making the tape of the interviews with Cheryl, Dan wrote.

Cheryl and myself thought of you as a very good friend. It is nice to know there are people like you out there in a world that often seems uncaring.


Thank you again for all you have done.

Love,
Dan Ross and kids and Cheryl in spirit.


Dan is an artist and several months later at Christmas he sent me a card that he had made. There was a lovely sketch of his cottage on the cover. Inside was this poem:

I looked for my soul but soul I could not see.

I looked for my God but my God eluded me.


I looked for a friend and then I found all three.


Anonymous

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glen, I love how you wrote about Autumn's mother and how touching it was. Autumn has told me many things about her. You see I am Autumn's mother-in-law. Autumn now has a daughter named Phoebe Amelia Ross. She is 3 years old going on 15. She is a very bright little girl and the apple of my eye, I know that Cheryl is looking down and smiling at such a beautiful little girl that she is. I know that she would be very proud of Autumn and her granddaughter. Thank you. Linda Zumwalt

BS123 said...

Dear Glen,
I don't want to keep bothering you and I won't. I just wanted to know if you had any videos or tapes of Cheryl's interviews with you.

Thank you,

Barbara Johnson

BS123 said...

I am Cheryl's youngest sister. I had known my sister when I was very young. She would take me to her apt and let me eat anything I wanted to and in our family that was a big thing. As I grew older, she would bring presents when she visited. She also brought my younger brother and I to stay with her for a couple of weeks in St. Paul, MN. She loved to be around family. I didn't hear about the seriousness of her health until I was 22 yrs old. By that time I had a family and lived in the southwest corner of Georgia. We packed up our car and made the trip. My youngest child was Alea's age. She tried her best to entertain the family but we knew she couldn't. We have a picture that was taken of our whole family, kids and all, in her cottage in Pembine that last summer. She used to ask me to visit her because I didn't mind her talking about how she felt. She asked me to pray with her every night so she could have the peace to be able to sleep. So it became a routine. We visited during the day and I would go to her house at night and pray with her so she could sleep. How she kept her head up during those times still boggles my mind. We (brothers & I) would take her to the Dr and hospital as needed. I remember her asking me to beat on her back at the hospital because that was the only way she could deal with the pain. We would do this off and on till my arms felt like they would fall off, but I didn't want her to know that. I went home after about 3 months. A week after I got back to Georgia I got the call that she died. My mom (who is 80 yrs old now) and myself still talk about the influence she had on people around her, they loved her for who she was. She had a piano on an enclosed porch and played beautifully. She was artistic in so many ways, but most of all she was a beautiful person all the way around and she loved to laugh. She had a certain giggle that would get things going. If she could be here today I know she would LOVE her grandchildren. Thank you to everyone who enriched her life, especially in those last days. I miss her tremendously. Just seeing her letter made me feel like she was here again for a moment. I loved her and looked up to her a lot.
Sincerely,
Barbara

ptr said...

Glen:
I just found this. I have some of Cheryl's things that probably should be with her family. They include, I think, a yearbook from her high school in Illinois. There are some other things, too, but I'd have to look and see what they are. The family can find me in whitepages.com in normal.
ptr.

BS123 said...

Dear ptr. I am Cheryl's sister and I was able to get through to you yesterday, but am unable to do the same today. I have no idea how blogging works. I am on Facebook.com . Are you familiar with it or could you walk me through the blogging issue? Thank you and I will look forward to hearing from you. Barbara

Anonymous said...

Barbara:
Since Facebook is based on email address, why don't you just send me an email at prhody@yahoo.com?

This is anonymous because it was the only way I could get the blog to work.

Anonymous said...

Barbara:
We found the yearbook from Midlothian that I mentioned earlier. Cheryl's picture is on page 119.

We could send you the yearbook, as well as her high school diploma from Rhinelander.

Do you have an address where we could send them?

GAH said...

Cheryl's things may be sent to:
Glenn Hanson
101 Paradise Trail
Coldspring, TX 77331

Anonymous said...

I dont know if u got my last comment but my name is autumn ross i am cheryls son u can reach me at 6187136236 i would like to tell my story now